[Hcoop-discuss] T-shirts

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Tue Dec 13 08:21:01 EST 2005

I have recently been corresponding with a Nicaraguan cooperative regarding
some garment orders.  It occurred to me later that seeing as we have just
developed a logo and are looking for ways to promote HCoop, and since I
already have this relationship with the sewing cooperative, this would be
the perfect chance to develop an HCoop T-shirt.

I like this idea on a lot of different levels.  We're not a real internet
company until we've have a T-shirt!  and I've had this nice retro-looking
SDF sweat-shirt (sdf.lonestar.org) for some time that I wear occasionally,
and have thought it a shame that we didn't have some sort of signature
item that members could show their support with also.  A lot of times such
geeky T-shirts lead to questions ("What the heck is HCOOP?"), or at least
someone furtively looking up the URL, which in turn can lead to new
members.  And if we sourced from COMAMNUVI--an outstanding worker-owned
women's cooperative in one of the USA's most impoverished neighbors--we
would really be distinguishing our coop socially as well as following the
principle of "cooperation among cooperatives."

We need to come up with a design.  I have created a page on the wiki at
http://wiki.hcoop.net/wiki/T-Shirt for discussing the design of the
T-Shirt.  I suggest that it include the word "HCOOP," the famous HCOOP
globe logo (thanks Anil!), our URL, and maybe some sort of slogan.

If members are willing to buy at least 20 shirts I'm willing to go ahead
and handle the entire transaction after the design is chosen, including
orders, payment processing, and shipping, at no added cost or bother to
members, other hardworking boardmembers and admins, or the coop.

If we bought 72 T-shirts (minimum order) in organic unbleached cotten, the
total cost including screen-printing would be $6.02 per shirt.  To this
would be added shipping from Nicaragua to NYC (in bulk), plus shipping
from my place to your place.  They also offer conventional cotton
T-shirts, which would be $4.61 plus shipping, but unless people feel
strongly otherwise I'd rather go with the organic (conventional cotton
farming uses more pesticide than any other crop except coffee--up to half
a pound per shirt).  The other difference is that the organic shirts are
natural color (ecru, a sort of cream color) while the conventional T's are
bleached bright white.

By contrast--if we just set up a basic Cafepress shop, we would have to
charge at least $14 for a conventional, sweat-shop manufactured cotton
shirt, or $17 for an organic shirt made with thinner material, plus
shipping.

So, please provide feedback on the wiki, and also if you are willing to
purchase a T-shirt please register your interest by voting on the portal
at https://members.hcoop.net/portal/poll?vote=6