[BuffaloWireless] updates

Justin S. Leitgeb justin at buffalowireless.org
Fri Feb 15 12:25:34 EST 2008

Hi folks,

Although there hasn't been any recent activity on the list serve, I
wanted to update everyone on a couple of things.  First, due to a server
migration at the hosting cooperative serving our mailing list runs on
[1], I've set up a new mailing list up at our new hosting provider [2].

I re-added everyone on the old mailing list to the new list, so you
don't have to do anything to continue receiving messages from us.  If
you set a password manually on the previous list, this may have been
lost in the shuffle.  However, you can have an auto-generated password
sent to you from the new list serve page at
https://lists.hcoop.net/listinfo/buffalowireless.  To send email to this
list, you should direct it to buffalowireless at lists.hcoop.net, since the
old address will no longer work due to DNS changes.

If you have any questions or issues with the new list serve, don't
hesitate to send me a message.

In wireless networking news, I re-flashed a couple of Linksys 54gl
devices a while ago with the freifunk firmware.  I also stuck an 11 dbi
omnidirectional antenna onto one of them, and created an OLSR network
between my house and another across the street on Saint James Place.  I
found that it was significantly easier to use the Freifunk firmware than
the solution that I used earlier, in which I basically just configured
these Linksys devices with OpenWrt and the OLSR packages from scratch.
Since I set the devices up, they've been running without a hitch for the
last few months.

If you're in the area and want to see if you can get a signal to join
our mesh, let me know!  Also, if you've tried any of your own
experiments with wireless gadgets please feel free to share with the
list, I'd love to hear if there is any other activity in the area.

Also I received an email a few months ago from a member of Wireless
Nomad, and Internet cooperative in Toronto.  I was going to attend a
meeting with some of their members, but never had time to follow up.  If
anyone on this list is interested in doing this, let me know if you can
figure out when their next meeting is and if they'll take drop-ins...
I'd like to see what they're up to but I lost contact with their member
who originally sent me an email.

Justin

1 - The hosting provider is HCoop, for anyone on the list who may be
interested in democratically-run internet hosting for linux geeks
2 - In case you're really interested, the new infrastructure is
primarily based on a few servers in 10U of rack space at Peer 1 in NYC.
The mailing list runs on one of these servers, which also offers members
access to AFS storage space (AFS is a distributed filesystem).  The
hosting co-op also offers more traditional services, like web hosting
and shell access.  It's a cooperative not-for-profit, so I don't feel
bad plugging them the list for our own grass-roots technology effort in
Buffalo! :)