[Bond-users] Problems obtaining database connection in Bond

Howard Hamilton howard.h.hamilton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 00:41:54 EDT 2010

Hi,

I recently installed Bond/Bonddb 3.1.3 on my Linux box a few days ago
(Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit, PostgreSQL 8.4) and I am attempting to run a Bond
script that I designed while I was using OpenSuSE 11.1.  When I run the
script I get the following output:

-----------------------

~/projects/database/frontend$ bondfrontend
Reading configuration file: bondfrontend.conf.
Shared configuration file not found: shell.conf
Checking UI library: /usr/local/lib/libbond_uigtk.so
UI plugin /usr/local/lib/libbond_uigtk.so successfully loaded.
User interface is now initialised.
Connecting to database: dbname=fmrd_test connect_timeout=5 user=howard
host=localhost
Checking library: /usr/local/lib/libbonddb2_pgsql.so for pgsql
Library /usr/local/lib/libbonddb2_pgsql.so successfully loaded.
Loaded library: /usr/local/lib/libbonddb2_pgsql.so
Error: bonddb/bonddbinit.c: 295: bonddb_init(): Connection to database
failed with dbname=fmrd_test connect_timeout=5 user=howard host=localhost
argument.
fe_sendauth: no password supplied

(bondfrontend:8921): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_destroy: assertion
`hash_table != NULL' failed

-----------------------

I am not sure why Bond if failing to connect with the database.  I am almost
certain that I have the settings of PostgreSQL correct because I was able to
execute my Perl script that set up the fmrd_test database with just my
username as an input.  Here are the settings of my pg_hba.conf file:

-----------------------

# Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
local   all         postgres                          ident

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

local   all         all                               trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               md5

Am I missing something here?  I used Perl on my old OpenSuSE distribution
and it eventually worked without having to tweak the Postgres settings; I am
at a loss as to why it's no longer working on my new Ubuntu distribution.

Thanks in advance.

Howard