[Bond-users] Bond vs. Glom for small clinic

Davor Ocelic docelic at spinlocksolutions.com
Sun Dec 28 14:58:26 EST 2008

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:38:21 +0100
Gour <gour at mail.inet.hr> wrote:

> That's why I'm interested if Bond could serve the purpose of handling
> medical records of our clients which come either to the counselling
> session or for homeopathic treatments. The application would have
> to...
>
> Moreover, ....

Hey,

Everything you're saying sounds reasonable and can be done in Bond.

> For my other web purposes I'm trying to become familiar with Django
> and will therefore learn Python if it can be useful for Bond?

I don't think so. No parts of Bond are written in Python, and if
I'm correct, there's no Python support/binding for it.

> Can one still use Glade to build UI for Bond app?

IIRC, there was a xsl stylesheet you could use to convert glade to
bond. I don't know how up to date it is, but it worked for me a
while ago, and if anything's missing, hacking the stylesheet does
the job.

But in general, if you know how to create a Gnome window by hand
(i.e. know layout manager basics), it's almost simpler to just
write the form manually.

> How does Bond compare with Glom in terms of features, ease of
> development and use of scripting language (like Python)?

In comparison to Glom, I saw Glom two years ago, and I don't remember
the details, but I remember my conclusion being that Glom was way behind
Bond.

Someone else might chime in on the ease of development and scripting
support.

Cya,
-doc