[Bond-users] Installing Bond on Ubuntu

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Sat Jun 24 07:46:52 EDT 2006

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:12:51 +0100
Philip Goodfellow <lists at philipgoodfellow.net> wrote:

> Please could someone point me to a "howto" for installing Bond under
> Ubuntu with the intention of using it with Postgre.
> Is there already a package available to make life easy?

Hi Philip,

No, there are not Debian packages.

Your best bet is to compile everything from source.

That isn't very problematic, I've just did it a few days ago and it
worked without problems whatsoever on a typical Linux (Debian) and
gcc 4.0.x compiler.

Download bonddb and bond, read their README files, install
pre-requisites (they are available as debian packages), and
run builds.

To test bonddb, there's a practically copy-paste guide for postgres I
wrote and can be found in bonddb/docs/dbsetup.txt (or some similar
file name).

Then, to test bond, once you build 'bondfrontend' program (as part of
bond build), then the easiest program to test and run is 'members'.
It's included in bond package.
All you have to do is create new database in postgres (you can use same
instructions from above dbsetup.txt), load members.sql in it,
and modify members.conf file to include proper database connection
information.

Then run bondfrontend -c members.conf and that's it.

You might get a line about bond not being able to find libvictory.so
library. In that case, just open members.conf and comment the line
where this file is mentioned, as it's not required for bond to
open up the GUI.

If you use IRC, join #bond @ irc.gnu.org and help establish an IRC
community for the project.

Hope this helps,