[Oct. 17 Seattle] Endorsements on Oct 17 Mobilization website

Eric Gordan ejrd1993 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 30 03:37:15 EDT 2009

October 17 Comrades --

On the Seattle October 17 Antiwar
Mobilization website, under “additional actions we endorse”, there appeared two
new announcements in the last couple of days, for the World Can’t Wait events
scheduled on October 6th and 7th. We in Seattle Anti-Imperialist Committee
discussed these announcements, and we have some concerns:

First, it isn’t clear what the “We
Are Not Your Soldiers” event is. Is it going to be more than a leafleting
activity? Gathering to leaflet doesn’t constitute a mass action in our view,
and therefore isn’t something we should endorse.

Secondly, and more importantly, the
“Visible Resistance” event on the 7th conflicts with the event called by ANSWER
in late August. The World Can’t Wait event is at 4:00 at Westlake, while the
ANSWER event is at 5:00 at 23rd and Jackson. We’re against endorsing an event
that knowingly divides the movement in this way. Also, to endorse two events occurring
at almost the same time in two different locations sends a confused message.

We know that Wednesday’s agenda
is full of items concerning our own mobilizing effort, and would
therefore like to see as much possible discussion of this issue take place on
this listserv, rather than at the meeting.

Fraternally,

SAIC