[Oct. 17 Seattle] On the proposal to group-write leaflets

Ben Seattle box601p at WeaponOfTransparency.com
Sun Oct 25 15:14:01 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I proposed that our group consider working together to create agitation
that addresses the ideological problems in the movement.

Probably one of the most important ideological problems in the movement
is the idea that the only alternative to the capitalist system is the
rule of a single party with the permanent ability to suppress the voice
of its critics and the independent voice of the working class.

However, as a group, we do not have the ability to agree on anything
meaningful to say about this problem.  Frank has pointed out that we
cannot forge a common viewpoint on the solution to this problem because
our differences on this topic would either lead to interminable arguing,
or to compromises that satisfied few.

However there are ways that, as a group, could could address this
question even if we lack the ability to forge a common viewpoint.  For
example, we could point out that it is an important problem and we could
encourage readers to participate, with us, in public discussion and
debate on this important theoretical question.

However, as a practical matter, it is clear to me that this is not going
to happen either.

Frank appears keen to oppose this as do the other SAIC members who, like
Frank, appear to believe that giving any amount of attention to
important questions such as this would represent a fatal retreat from
action and a reduction of our common work to that of a useless debating
society.

A group organized as a united front only works when it is centered on
the tasks that its supporters agree are important.

So, while some tasks might be useful and serve the movement--these tasks
cannot be done by a group if the supporters of the group do not want to
do them.

As far as Frank's argument that my supposed blindless is connected with
my passivity during the campaign: I think it is good to be cautious
about these kinds of arguments because of where they often lead.  All
things being equal, it is good that campaigns have energetic and
enthusiastic people to support them.  But this does not necessarily mean
that those who are not as involved may lack useful insight into the
contradictions in the movement which, sooner or later, we must confront.
I did, by the way, make one minor contribution to the campaign: I made a
suggestion to improve the wording on the banner.

With respect to everyone,

Ben
http://struggle.net/Ben/