[Oct. 17 Seattle] Geov turns 50! Benefit/roast/party

Geov Parrish geovlp at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 5 00:46:32 EST 2009

Friends,

My apologies for the form/spam note; this is not something I've ever done before, or will probably ever do again. Since I don't even know where some of my correspondents live, my address book is the only practical way to reach everyone who might be interested. If you're outside the Seattle area, you can pretty much quit reading if you want, since this is about a rare event in Seattle next week...

My 50th birthday!

As many of you know, it's an extremely unlikely as well as significant milestone, since I've been battling a terminal illness since 1991, with a stubborn refusal to let it be, you know, terminal. So it seemed like an event worth celebrating. With you.

But I'm not celebrating it. My friends at Eat the State! (a community newspaper I helped start in 1996, and which I still work with) are using the occasion to throw a benefit party. A roast. Of me. (Plus cake, desserts, and the usual party frivolities.) It's a cool idea. I think. I guess I'll find out. :-)

Among the roasters: Knute Berger (of Crosscut & KUOW); Brita Butler-Wall (former Seattle School Board  president); David Goldstein (HorsesAss.org); Tim Harris (Real Change); ETS! stalwart (and former housemate, back in the day) Lansing Scott; and, of course, Maria Tomchick and Mike McCormick of KEXP and Eat the State!. (It's Mike I'm especially worried about...)

It should be a lot of fun. If you're in the Seattle area, please come! It'll be in the social hall at University Baptist Church, 47th & 12th NE in Seattle's University District. Tickets $15 or 2/$25, all proceeds going to ETS! Doors open at 7 PM. Hope to see you there!

cheers

Geov

PS For the love of all that is good and holy, no gifts, please! (Thanks.)