[Oct. 17 Seattle] Report, one mass-work thread?

Eric Gordan ejrd1993 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 23 05:12:23 EDT 2009

I wasn’t able to get to the demo downtown today, but I was
able to get out for a while later, around 5.  I almost didn’t get out, because my time was tight, and the
printer kept jamming, but I did finally get 100 SAIC leaflets printed.  I still had about 50+ of the coalition
half-sheets.  I went to the
Garfield “community” event, which was very small, maybe 75 people there
total.  It was just a lot of booths
advertising replacement windows, Pepsi, etc.   There were also a few non-commercial booths, like a woman
with some org that wasn’t familiar who was trying to get Single Payer “on the
table” in DC, and some kind of foster care agency, and others.

I had a couple of conversations there. One clean cut young
guy selling something took a leaflet and started asking questions -- what does
this title mean? Isn’t the US removing troops from Afghanistan? Why is the US
there?  The older man he had been
talking to when I came up jumped in and explained that it was for control of territory,
no, it wasn’t about helping the Afghan people, etc.  He had some facts wrong (like he thought there was
significant oil there), but he understood US motives well.

After about 20 minutes there, though, I had made the circuit
and offered everyone there a leaflet.
So I circulated through the neighborhood, walking along 23rd, across
Cherry, up to Union.  There are a
number of coffee places along there that cater to cab drivers and there are
other small storefronts.
There were a moderate number of people out on the streets, and a high
percentage of them took leaflets.

On that walk, I had several good conversations, one with an
Asian woman behind the counter at a coffee place.  When I offered her a leaflet, she took one, and asked what
is this about.  When I explained
(there was a little language barrier) she said, “yes, why not!  The soldiers should all get out of
there”, and she volunteered to put a poster up.  I gave her a small stack of the half-sheet flyers, and she
said she’d put them out.

I also talked with a man for a long time, who wavered
between understanding that the US was in Iraq and Afghanistan/Pakistan because
it served the whole ruling class -- when I said this to him, he agreed -- and
talking about the wars as “Bush’s mess”, that he started the Iraq War because
Saddam had tried to kill his father, etc.  He was very mad about the wars.  The conversation was quite
friendly.  He read the first
paragraph while I was there, and he argued that it was beside the point that
the drone attacks into Pakistan were “cowardly”, what was important was that
they were killing civilians.  It
wouldn’t be any better if it was troops the imperialists were sending across
the border to kill.  He agreed when I said the motivation behind the drones was to avoid US casualties, and limit domestic
opposition to the wars.

I also swung by the cab stand around 24th and Union, and
every cabbie there took one, thanked me, etc.  I talked with one man (again there was a language barrier)
who I think was trying to ask me “Are you arguing that the US is there to bring
peace?”  When I did finally get it
across that no, the US isn't bringing peace, it is dropping bombs on civilians, he smiled and shook my hand
vigorously, “yes, they are dropping bombs on the people”.

In all, I handed out 62 SAIC leaflets in about an hour.