[Oct. 17 Seattle] On the route

chr2eemail at comcast.net chr2eemail at comcast.net
Thu Aug 20 16:09:29 EDT 2009

Helen,
When I said that the various choices all seemed pretty good, I think that my note was pretty clearly referring to choices in how to get to Jackson.

Indeed, I think that most people in the meeting thought that there would be a few blocks of relative emptiness on Broadway when going past S.U., Swedish, etc., so we should check out how it would be to go over to 12th instead ---which you have now done! But at the same time there is only relative emptiness on this part of Broadway, and we would no doubt meet some hospital workers, students, and people who live in apartments in the area. So, to me, whatever you decide won’t be bad if it doesn‘t involve a lot of loops and the like.

Some things related to this:
I think that we’re going to want an MC---or someone tasked for the duty---to very briefly explain the general march route, and say that it’s a little longer than usual because in order to build the movement, going to the people is necessary. (At the same time, at the first meeting we recognized that some people simply can’t walk three miles, but that the shape of the route is such that they can jump on buses or otherwise take shortcuts in order to meet us at the end.)
But I think that it would be a mistake to have a march route with too many detours designed to go to the people. Quite a few demonstrators might feel they’re being led in circles when they have in mind reaching the objective of Westlake. Compromises have to be made in this regard.
For example, Ben’s (and perhaps others’) idea of first marching north on Broadway has merit in that it’s meant to reach more people. But it starts off with this problem of marching in a circle. (In this case, I also think that it would make the march just a little too long.) So I think that we should “save” north Broadway for another demonstration. Nevertheless, I think that it would be great if on the 17th Ben or others wanted to organize a little contingent with signs, etc., to come down Broadway encouraging people to come with them to the demonstration. I might join such a contingent myself!