[Oct. 17 Seattle] Report, one mass-work thread?

chr2eemail at comcast.net chr2eemail at comcast.net
Wed Aug 19 22:50:57 EDT 2009

1) I passed out 60 of some combination of the SAIC and “Mobe” flyers on Broadway this evening. Best response was from a woman my age who said “I agree w/ that TOTALLY” when she saw what the leaflets were about. She was in a rush, but upon returning from her errand she thanked me some more. The only negative comment was from a guy who asked, “What are you going to do when they land at Alki?”
Ran into several anti-war people who I already know, and gave them details about the September 2 meeting: They included:
--The owner of a bookshop who said that she would clear space on her bulletin board to post the flyer, which she did.
--WWP’s Jim M. First words were to ask about the demonstration. (I was worried that WWP hadn’t gotten the invitation to the first meeting because we didn’t have a good address, but it turned out that he’d seen the Indymedia announcement. Now also have his phone number.)
--PM of the old SCCCAWC. Unhappy that there’s no longer a mass anti-war organization at SCCC. Very happy to hear the news of the demonstration and the formation of this mobilizing effort. (Of the people who I talked with about the 2nd, I think that he’s most likely to attend.)
--M, originally of IVAW. Another person who expressed enthusiasm about the demonstration, which he’d heard about through our e-mailings. Unfortunately, he’s soon moving to California.
2) Reports of leafleting experiences have begun to be posted here, which I think this is just what we should do. It gives us a concrete picture of what we’re doing, where we might pick up slack, and so on. Additionally, I think that news of articles, postings, radio announcements, etc., should also be posted here. For example, SDS Tacoma today posted the information from the flyer on its website. Further, SAIC has had experience in trying to keep reports of leafleting, postering and so on all in one thread. I think that this is a convenient way of keeping track of this info that seems to work well for us, and can work well for this united front effort.
Cheers,
Frank