[HCoop-Discuss] Site Redesign

Lauren McNees lauren at hcoop.net
Wed Mar 16 16:11:42 EDT 2011

Avinash, thanks for the feedback. These are good suggestions. Please see my

1. The contrast between the green in the background and the font colors
> seems to be less. The
>  background color is a little distracting, and takes the eyes away from the
> text. Either the background
> could be a lighter shade, or the text needs to be darker/bolder to stand
> out.

I made the navigation buttons bolder to accentuate them against the green
background. I can make the background a lighter color, but I just used this
shade because its the same color we already had, to give us some sense of
consistency. Its not my favorite color, but I wouldn't really know what
other color to choose if I had nothing to go on. Suggestions welcome. Also I
was thinking that the main content of each page will be in the white box
rather than on the green but what do people prefer?

> 2. I think the content on the web page must be much less than what it is
> currently - we only want
> the page to be perused by people who expect to join, and we perhaps could
> do with just telling
> them why they should join, along with a link for how to join. A minimalist
> message may drive home
> the point much faster than having to wait for a info tab to slide into the
> view.
>

> The link to join must be bolder for sure - and possibly be something like a
> big button near the center of
> the screen like so one just can't miss it.
>
> For instance, http://www.mailchimp.com 's design makes the join/sign up
> button so prominent. Also,
> most of their content is below, and needs to be scrolled into view for
> someone who is interested. For
> most, the temptation to click on the sign up button right away is too much
> to resist :)

I'm all for the minimalist approach, so reducing the amount of stuff is fine
with me. I took a little bit off just now. Should I kill the sliding thing
and we can use the space in the white box for a big "Why you should join
HCOOP" section with a big button? I agree that we should make that
prominent. (But I do hope our website will have visitors who are casually
shopping for web hosting, and hopefully the site will convince them to
join.)